Saturday, February 23, 2013

Forward Day By Day


The Forward Day by Day Meditation for February 23, 2013

Hebrews 5:1-10. Jesus offered up prayers... with loud cries and tears, to the one who was able to save him from death, and he was heard.
When someone says, “God heard my prayer,” it usually means that the answer exactly mirrored a request, yet Jesus prayed with tears for rescue, was heard by the Almighty who could’ve prevented death, and Jesus died. No reflection on God’s hearing! A much larger picture, a merciful picture, was in focus: human redemption.
And I need to reflect on such truth when I question God’s response to my prayers. Do I dare to think that I fully understand the larger picture behind the scenes? Am I forgetting that God’s wisdom is far higher than mine? Am I thinking God doesn't pay attention? Not wanting to do an injustice to the one listener who waits nonstop to hear us, we need to clarify our thinking when results aren't made-to-order. If God’s response to prayer is mystifying, don’t we need to recall that the goal of prayer isn't to manipulate the divine? Isn't the goal communication? (Emphasis mine.) 
We can pray: “God, help me remember that prayer is the privilege of conversation with you, an enduring and honest expression of relationship. Amen.” We can count on it: God’s response will mirror this prayer.

To view this meditation on its original web site go to: Forward Day By Day .

No comments:

Post a Comment